Job title: Medical Laboratory Assistant
Company: Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
Job description: Application ID: 286913
Position number: 20093298
Place end date: 28 September 2021
Website: Shared Health
Workplace: Thompson General Hospital
Department / Unit: Thompson Hospital Laboratory
Union: MAHCP NE DSM
Expected start date: 10/06/2021
Expected Shift: days; evenings; weekends
Daily working hours: 7.75
Annual base hours: 2015
Salary: $ 20,352, $ 20,962, $ 21,590, $ 22,240, $ 22,890, $ 23,591, $ 24,302
Shared Health leads the planning and coordinates the integration of patient-centered clinical and preventive health services in Manitoba. The organization also provides provincial health services and supports centralized administrative and business functions for health organizations in Manitoba.
Under the general supervision of the Charge Technologist or designated, the Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) is responsible for assisting the laboratory in the role of sampling, joining and processing samples. The MLA can also perform some basic routine procedures according to established protocols. Perform phlebotomies according to departmental policy. The MLA will maintain a safe environment in accordance with professional and provincial guidelines and ensure compliance with quality assurance programs and standards set out in accreditation. Functions are performed in accordance with the mission and values of shared health, current policies and procedures, and applicable legislation.
Previous related experience preferred.
Education (Degree / Diploma / Certificate)
- Completed grade 12 or equivalent, Manitoba standards, are required.
- The completion of a program for medical laboratory assistants is postponed.
Certification / License / Registration
- Canadian Medical Laboratory Science Association (CSMLS) Preferred certification of medical laboratory assistants.
Qualifications and skills
- Windows computer environment required.
- Preferred Microsoft Office programs.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Sterile techniques and routine practices preferred.
- 50-55 wpm keyboard skills an asset.
- Apply basic mathematical concepts, such as fractions, percentages and ratios.
- Follow oral and written instructions carefully with attention to detail.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills required in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Work under pressure.
- Maintain confidentiality with all information entrusted to the post.
- Fluent language skills (written and oral) in both French and English may be required.
- Ability to perform duties as described.
- Mental and physical health are necessary to meet the requirements of the job.
The collective agreement covering this position is identified by the Union mentioned above. Due to the health sector’s bargaining unit review law, the bargaining agent for this position may differ from the identified Union. If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources section of your website.
We have a unique ability to work together to make healthcare better. If you want to make a difference and make a contribution to support the health of your family, friends and neighbors, you still need to apply today.
Interested candidates should select the “Fit” icon below to upload their cover letter, CV and copy of licenses / certification.
This position requires a current satisfactory criminal record check (including searching for a vulnerable sector), registration of child abuse and register checking for adults as conditions of service. The successful candidate is responsible for any service fees. A security test is considered topical if it has not been obtained more than six (6) months before the start of the service.
Note that an employee may not hold two or more positions in Shared Health equal to more than 1.0 FTE.
Shared Health values and supports fair employment and diversity in the workplace and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request during the assessment and selection process.
Location: Thompson, MB
Job date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:54:06 GMT
Apply for the job now!