Job title: House-Wide Supervisor
Company: Stony Brook Medicine
Job description: Position summary
At Stony Brook Medicine, under the general direction of the Director of Nursing Support Services, this position of Assistant Director of Nursing / Home Supervisor is responsible for coordinating all administrative and clinical matters relating to the administration, coordination and supervision of nursing activities in the hospital. These duties include, but are not limited to, supervising and guiding clinicians, evaluating patient care practices, implementing performance improvement monitoring, and participating in decision-making activities.
Qualified candidates demonstrate excellent patient care and possess excellent communication skills while meeting our high standard of excellence.
The duties of an Assistant Director of Nursing / Home Supervisor may include, but are not limited to:
- Use the mission, vision and values of Stony Brook Medicine to set the departmental benchmark for customer service.
- Participate in and monitor the organization’s quality and patient safety programs:
a. Knowledge / participate in the quality and patient safety programs.
b. Assess units / organization for the factor related to patient safety, staffing / scheduling methodology and patient flow.
c. Participate in staff goals, scheduling, utilization of the patient focus system and patient flow process.
- Coordinate and manage the daily patient flow of the ED / PACU and everything in patient units within the Nursing department. Work with the admissions department to ensure timely bed allocations. Advise the director on all matters relating to the administration of nursing support services.
- Maintain an appropriate level of staff to meet the requirements for patient care and the NYS Nursing Quality Protection Act. Make daily staff adjustments to accommodate changes in patients’ census and sharpness.
a. Give prior approval for overtime use in the absence of the Unit Manager while he / she is aware of the nursing budget.
b. Allocate floating staff / agency staff based on established guidelines in accordance with credibility criteria.
- Address and resolve patient / family issues and complaints.
- Functions as the administrator on duty for all activities related to the hospital during the evening and night shifts, weekends and holidays. Ensure that the backing of AOD / the Nursing Secretary is informed in a timely manner of relevant issues regarding hospital operations.
- Ensure full compliance with the requirements set out by accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Implement Command Chain Policy as appropriate. Empower personnel to use the command chain policy.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Clairvia and Capacity Management computer applications. Use SB Safe to report quality improvement information.
- Assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures. Interpret hospital policy to nursing staff and provide opportunities for education if necessary.
- Provides direct daily evaluation of the quantitative services to patients and communicates results to the appropriate nursing manager.
- Collaborate with members of the medical staff as well as with other disciplines in the planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care.
- Maintain regular communication with nursing managers about staff observations and clinical performance.
- Ensure the implementation and evaluation of standards of nursing practice. Participate in the activities of the performance improvement program.
- Serve on selected committees as appointed by the Director of Nursing Support Services.
- Carry out continuous quality assurance cards to ensure that appropriate medical documentation is provided by the medical healthcare team.
Required: Current NYS RN license. BSN or related field. Five years experience after licensing, including three years specialty and two years management / supervisory experience. Skill in computer skills.
Preference: Master’s degree.
Special notes: A CV / CV and cover letter must be included with the online application.
Posting Overview: This post remains posted until it is filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants takes place two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are informed on the application that applications must be fully considered before the initial review date (which is within two weeks after the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate has been selected to fill the position, additional applications for the position will be considered; however, the placement will close once a finalist has been identified, and at least two weeks after the initial placement date. Please note that if no candidate is identified and appointed within 90 days of the initial posting, the post would be closed for review, and possibly re-posted later.
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited throughout the campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
- All positions in the hospital may be subject to changes in pass days and shifts if necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function / position is possibly indicated as ‘essential’. This means that when the hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their place of work or to report to work to complete their operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and other facilities.
Before the start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Complete pre-employment physical examination and get medical permission from Stony Brook Medicine’s Employee Health Services *
- Complete the electronic referral check with a minimum of three (3) professional referrals.
- Complete a 5-panel drug screen *
- Successfully completed a background check.
- Provide a copy of the required New York State license (s) / certificates (s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements may result in a delayed commencement date and / or revocation of the service offering.
* The rental department is responsible for any fee charged for the investigation.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and creating an inclusive learning and working environment. All qualified applicants receive compensation for work regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state law. .
Call the University Office for Equality and Access at (631) 632-6280 if you need an apartment-related accommodation.
In accordance with the Crime Awareness and Security Act of Title II, a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed.
Visit our page for more information on the total rewards we offer.
Location: Stony Brook, NY
Job date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:20:30 GMT
Apply for the job now!