Job title: Administrative Assistant I, Eye Care Team
Company: Nova Scotia Health Authority
Job description: Click here to apply as an internal applicant.
Department / Program: Eye Care Clinic / Team & Dalhousie, Child Health Program
Type of employment: Permanent hourly RT (100% FTE) x 1 position (s)
Ops ID: 119505
Trade union status: NSGEU Off & Cler, administrative unit for administrators
Fee: $ 20,0923 – $ 21,913 / hour
Place Date: September 17, 2021
Closing date: 04 October 2021
Start date: ASAP
IWK Health is an internationally recognized and respected Center for Academic Health Sciences in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care to two million women, children, adolescents and families across the Atlantic region. IWK Health is committed to employment equity and the reduction of barriers to employment and career growth. We encourage anyone who identifies themselves as indigenous, black / African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, the disabled and / or 2SLGBTQIA +.
The Administrative Assistant I reports to the manager, Ambulatory Care & Regional Poison Center, and provides high quality administrative and organizational support to the Eye Care team. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support for orthoptists, technicians, doctors for inquiries related to patients.
- Telephone inquiries / scheduling / concerns and problem solving.
- Compile / type / transcribe reports, project documents, correspondence, etc. Photocopy and distribute accordingly.
- Coordinate and attend team meetings, set agendas, take / produce minutes and identify action items.
- Dictation, word processing and database entry.
- Completion and processing of correspondence and records for computerized medical invoice (ACCURO system)
- Establishment and maintenance of an office filing system, including the processing of incoming and outgoing mail.
- Process referrals for adults / children by updating the triage in Meditech
- Create ‘No Visit’ for internal and external documents and scan to PACS
- Schedule time for doctor clinic, with discretion to meet the different needs of patients and families, doctors and staff, with input from team leader as needed.
- Clinical scheduling of patients, including coordinating appointments for patients requiring multidisciplinary sessions, and minimizing inconvenience to patients and families.
- Patients register for clinic visits in Meditech in accordance with IWK registration standards.
- Invoicing and processing of payments by MONERIS.
- If necessary, participate in discussions of outpatient care team, which provide input and energy in efforts to improve the efficiency and functioning of clinics.
Hours of work
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Graduate of a recognized secretarial or office administration diploma required.
- Completion of the Ophthalmic Medical Assisting (OMA) course, or willingness to complete the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- OMA course (at work) required.
- An equal combination of training and experience can be considered for this position.
- Advanced knowledge of computers including Outlook, Windows, Word, Power Point, Excel, spreadsheet, access database and MS Word is required.
- Keyboard skills required minimum 60 wpm (test can be completed)
- Successful completion of a medical terminology course is required.
- Demonstrates strong skills in time management, analysis and problem solving.
- Excellent organizational skills, strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills are required.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated initiative; self-motivated and can work with minimal supervision / guidance.
- Demonstrates high regard for quality, accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and in an interprofessional team.
- Demonstrate flexibility to meet the required workload.
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and / or sensitive information required.
- Experience in computerized medical billing (ACCURO) applications is preferred.
- Knowledge of office equipment (eg fax machine, copier, scanner, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience in patient scheduling / booking preferred
- Experience in Meditech and Community Wide Scheduling Preferred
- Competence in other languages an asset; French and Arabic preferred.
Thank you for your interest in IWK Health. We will only contact the applicants selected for interview / testing. Applicants who invite us to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or test) have the right to request accommodation. Discuss your needs when you are invited to the assessment process.
Please note: our service offering is subject to the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.
If you are an IWK Health employee, you must apply via the internal career page to ensure that you are marked as an internal applicant. Applications are accepted until 23:59 on the closing date.
Location: Halifax, NS
Job date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:37:07 GMT
Apply for the job now!