Job title: HP – Witness Care Officer
Company: Humberside Police
Job description: Role: Witness Care Officer
Department: Corporate Development Branch
Location: Clough Road
Salary: from £ 19,452 (Pro Rata)
1 x 37 hours temporarily until 1 March 2022
1 x 22.5 hours temporarily until 22 October 2022
To provide case work and general administrative assistance to the Witness Care Unit. Act as a single point of contact between victims / witnesses and relevant agencies. Handle inquiries that can often be sensitive and ensure that all correspondence is professional and courteous.
- Identify the practical and emotional issues that need to be addressed before the court date, ie language issues, disability issues or vulnerability and forward to the relevant agencies or solicitors.
- Work with police colleagues to ensure that witnesses are informed of their trial and to ensure that special needs of victims and witnesses are met to facilitate court attendance.
- Emphasize to the management the evidence problems that cannot be resolved within the agreed time frame.
- Liaise with operational units to obtain decisions on cases, milestones and outcomes for the completion of cases to ensure that victims and witnesses are informed within the agreed time limits and use their preferred method.
- Maintain close liaison with prosecutors, case workers, administrators, criminal justice agencies and police officers to meet the needs of victims and witnesses.
- Provide a general administrative assistant to other team members, including opening and responding, as appropriate for incoming mail and general computer and database entry.
- Respond to telephone inquiries and correspondence, accurately record file details and database. Make letters / reports within the pre-agreed parameters.
- Use Witness Management System (WMS) to enter and extract information. Use Police National Computer (PNC); the court interface (LIBRA) and crime information system
- (CIS) to extrapolate data along with trials.
- Perform other duties that are reasonably consistent with the general nature of the post and in line with its level of responsibility
Skills and experience:
- Literate and counted. Educated according to GCSE standard or equivalent.
- Experience working with the general public, problem solving and dealing with sensitive and emotional situations.
- Experience using computers to enter, edit or retrieve information.
- Previous administrative experience with keyboard skills, etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including telephone skills.
- Has the ability to work within a team.
- Has the ability to clearly communicate what is needed to other staff and other agencies and give reasons for requests.
- Good organizational skills.
- Maintain appropriate quality standards.
- Pay attention to detail and accuracy in all work undertaken.
- The ability to work under pressure and contribute to the work of the team.
- The ability to manage stressful situations on a daily basis and confidence to respond immediately with tact and diplomacy.
- Self motivated.
- Flexible to meet the requirements of the job.
- Consider the need for confidentiality.
- Consider all aspects of a situation, and weigh different options to arrive at the best solution.
- Priorities work and manage own time effectively.
- Think ahead and identify possible problems
Consult the attached role requirement for more information on the role and tasks of this post.
The Humberside police have policies in place to support a good work-life balance and employee well-being.
Further benefits are;
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Training and development opportunities
- Access to a variety of occupational health facilities
- Employee assistance service (accessible 24/7)
- Flexible work where applicable
- Generous pension scheme
- Blue light discount
- Gym membership
- Scheme for cycling to work
- Free on-site parking
- Internal applicants MUST have completed a successful probationary period of 6 months before applying for another role in the force.
- Internal applicants MUST have completed the term of office in their current role (if applicable) before applying for another role in the power. Please do not apply if you have not completed your term of office.
- Applicants must meet the minimum requirements for the history of at least 3 years to apply for a role in Humberside in any capacity.
- Successful candidates will undergo a selection procedure required before service.
Contact point for applicants:
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact us at
How to apply for the role:
Click the ‘Apply’ button below to apply for the role.
Thursday 30 September 2021 at 23:55
Closing dates are unlikely to be extended except in exceptional circumstances, and this must be done with the permission of the recruitment manager and line manager of the role.
- Role requirement
- Clues for completing your application
Humberside police welcome applications from under-represented communities. For more information on positive action within the Humberside Police Department, visit the Positive Action Page:
Expected salary: £19452 per year
Location: United Kingdom
Job date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:49:34 GMT
Apply for the job now!