Job title: Research Assistant
Company: University of British Columbia
Job description: Staff – Non-union
Work category Non-union technicians and research assistants
Job Profile Non Union Salary – Research Assistant / Technician 3
Job title Research Assistant
Research Department | Human early learning partnership | School for Population and Public Health
Compensation Range $ 3,982.67 – $ 4,703.83 CAD Monthly
Place end date 4 October 2021
Note: Applications are accepted until 23:59 on the day before the end date above.
End date for work 31 March 2022
Part time – 4 days a week
The research assistant (RA) is responsible for managing the research and leadership activities of HELP’s director. He / she provides management support to the director and liaises regularly with HELP leadership, including faculty members, HELP’s deputy director, senior operations manager and HELP team managers. The incumbent also serves as a liaison between HELP and the senior leadership of SPPH, the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Medicine and senior university officials.
This position reports directly to the director and administratively to the senior operations director; also liaise and work with the Deputy Director. The position also works closely with HELP faculty, students and staff. The incumbent must use the utmost tact, discretion and diplomacy to liaise with faculties and staff of HELP, SPPH and the Faculty of Medicine.
Supports the research activities of the director. It involves close collaboration with the research team of the director, team leaders and collaborators on research-related and administrative activities listed below:
- Supports the director in all aspects of their role as the principal investigator of HELP’s human development research program (eg Preparation of ethics).
- Organize the updating of work plans and timetables for various research grants, including the collection of related information and the facilitation and monitoring of the research work for the director.
- Assist the director in planning research-related trips (ie research science conferences and presentations) and coordinate trips with administrative support staff; and going forward prepared compensation claims from said trips to the Faculty of Medicine Finance group for processing.
- Supports the director’s research projects and major funding proposals.
- Assist the director in coordinating and submitting grant applications (intention and full proposals) for single and multi-investigators, institutional proposals and philanthropic proposals.
- Important responsibility for updating and collecting CVs, compiling tables, drafting, coordinating paperwork and signatures, monitoring timelines and submitting deadlines, etc.
- Includes editing of grant material, literature reviews, information gathering and proofreading.
- Ensure that ethical certificates for directors’ grants are up to date.
- Tracks grant application status.
- Maintains and updates various CV and biographical information for the director, including research grants, publications, presentations and committees; maintain and update director’s online profiles.
- Create and maintain the director’s archive of publications, various PowerPoint presentations, and complex systems for academics and staff – which may require considerable tact and diplomacy for documents containing sensitive information.
- Provides support for HELP leadership meetings, ie preparing agendas and documenting discussions and decisions made.
- Serves as primary contact for the director with UBC leadership and external organizations / agencies; and supports the director in the planning, preparation and presentation of important HELP and external partnership meetings.
- Synthesize information and make submissions to the director.
- Do literature and search libraries for director.
- Provides publication support for director (eg editorial and proofreading support, coordination with editors).
- Maintain the various websites of the director up to date.
- Supervise the director’s social online presence and interactions with the public by implementing content strategies on social media platforms (eg Facebook, Instagram, YouTube)
- Assist with various internal and external meetings.
- Other duties as required / assigned.
Consequence of error / judgment
The RA will make basic decisions about organizing their tasks in a meaningful and useful way. The RA will work with the director, deputy director and other HELP researchers and staff and follow the established protocol. All work is subject to review by the director.
The RA must exercise initiative, discretion and good judgment to evaluate and respond to issues. This position deals with highly sensitive and confidential matters involving faculty, staff and financial issues. The consequences of an inappropriate judgment exercised by this position may lack important and relevant information and / or misrepresent the projects during the performance of the post functions, which may lead to additional work for the director.
This position reports directly to the director and administratively to the operations director. The incumbent must work independently in an interdisciplinary environment.
Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum of three years related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- The ability to exercise a high level of tact, diplomacy and discretion in developing and maintaining collaboration with senior academic, provincial and community leaders.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; interpersonal and organizational skills;
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively;
- Must be highly organized with the ability to prioritize assignments; manage complex projects and schedule duties;
- Strong attention to detail;
- The ability to work effectively under pressure, handle heavy volumes and meet constant deadlines;
- The ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Advanced computer skills with a variety of software, including word processing, spreadsheet and reference database software.
Expected salary: $3982.67 – 4703.83 per month
Job date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 07:14:53 GMT
Apply for the job now!