Job title: Parks & Recreation Outreach Assistant
Company: City of Tukwila
Job description: Description
Founded in 1908, the city of Tukwila is a dynamic suburb of Seattle, Washington. Although a small town with only 21,000 inhabitants, Tukwila has a variety of neighborhoods and housing options, including owner-occupied, single-family and multi-family homes. New multiple neighborhoods are underway, with hundreds of units recently completed and more.
Tukwila is one of the most diverse communities in the country, with more than 80 languages spoken in its schools. More than 50% of the households in Tukwila speak a language other than English at home and 40% of our residents were born in another country.
Tukwila has a strong business sector. With more than 40,000 jobs and one of the region’s most important retail destinations, more than 150,000 people come to Tukwila every day to work, shop and play. Anchored by Westfield Southcenter, which is the largest shopping mall in the northwest of the Pacific, Tukwila is a retail powerhouse. Tukwila houses thousands of jobs in global aviation and advanced manufacturing and is home to a number of corporate headquarters. It is also home to hundreds of small businesses, many of which are owned by members of Tukwila’s diverse international community.
Tukwila is not only a wonderful place to live and work, but also to visit. In addition to shopping and dining, visitors to Tukwila can also visit the Museum of Flight, watch the Seattle Sounders practice, jump inside the field, attend a SeaWolves rugby game and enjoy other activities such as bowling, movies, cars and the beautiful regional route system. Tukwila is centrally located in the Puget Sound region and enjoys access to all the wonderful amenities in the region, such as sailing, camping, cycling, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing and a lively arts and culture scene featuring art, eateries, live music, sports and entertainment.
Our mission: To provide excellent services that support a safe, inviting, healthy environment for our residents, businesses and guests.
All potential team members are evaluated according to the following values:
Caring -We support the diverse community we serve with compassion, empathy and kindness.
Professional – we adhere to the highest ethical standards and act with integrity and transparency. We are respectful and polite to everyone.
Responsive – we are on time and effective in delivering excellent customer service. We are constantly striving to find innovative ways to improve.
The Parks & Recreation Outreach Assistant will assist and support the Parks & Recreation Department with the further development, improvement and implementation of activities related to community outreach and involvement with the Tukwila community, park users and participants in recreation programs.
This is a part-time position managed by Parks & Recreation administrative staff and in partnership with other Parks & Recreation staff.
The post will not exceed 1040 hours in a period of 12 months.
How to apply: Applicants must complete an online application, submit a CV (required) and a letter of interest (required). This recruitment will remain open until it is filled.
City of Tukwila Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The diversity of Tukwila is the biggest asset. Tukwila embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Employees in the city of Tukwila must be actively interested in getting to know the different communities in Tukwila, including partnering with community-based organizations and being visible at community events.
The city of Tukwila is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, descent, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
Veteran Preference: The City of Tukwila follows the guidance of the State of Washington regarding the application of veteran preference under RCW 73.16.010 and WAC 357.16.110 (2). Please attach a copy of your DD214 or NGB Form 22 to your online application if you are eligible to claim Veterans Preferences. The character of service must be honorable. General dismissal under honorable condition does not qualify.
If you require assistance and / or a reasonable stay during the application or recruitment process due to a disability, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important duties and responsibilities
- Commands, contributes to and assists with the preparation of project work plans and reports within set deadlines.
- Assist with the planning, implementation and evaluation of outreach activities and community involvement efforts.
- Assist with the development strategy and make recommendations for continuous quality of the project.
- Assist with the coordination of partners and provide educational training and outreach materials as needed.
- Assist in the development of promotional materials and assist in implementing programmatic campaigns.
- Assist in the development of project plans and programs consistent with the City of Tukwila and grant award policies.
- Attend events when needed (may include evening / weekend hours) and assist with the preparation, staffing and evaluation of events.
- Helps maintain proper forms, files and reports.
- Assist with the task of collecting, analyzing, evaluating and locating event information.
- Help maintain and further develop relationships with those who live, work, do business and play in Tukwila.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Excellent communication and public presentation skills.
- The ability to work positively, professionally and courteously with diverse populations and large groups.
- The ability to work independently and support a collaborative team environment with common goals.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to set and schedule tasks, predict problems and needs, be detail-oriented, work within deadlines, collect data, communicate regularly, track progress, and compile reports.
- Experience with community involvement and outreach projects.
- Experience with marketing and public relations.
- Digital communication skills and experience using social networks for outreach.
Education, experience and other requirements
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Marketing, Communication, Business, Parks and Recreation, Public Administration or a related field or discipline, and one year experience in community outreach; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Minimum qualifications as indicated above, and two years experience in conducting community outreach, including one year experience serving as communication liaison with community groups.
Expected salary: $19 – 22 per hour
Location: Tukwila, WA
Job date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 07:59:43 GMT
Apply for the job now!